Bayu Amus | Product Design Leader
As a Product Design Leader, my goal is to ensure achievement of product targets by understanding the market, competition, and connection between the business goals, target user, technology capability, then develop the process and team to accomplish that mission.
With 10 years of experience in leading a team of 2-20 product designers from multiple disciplines and nationalities, I developed the capability in assessing, leading, managing and developing people competencies, as well as establishing productive team culture.
With 20+ years of Digital Design experience, I grew proficiency in using empathy to understand user aspirations and intentions, user-perceived value, thus ensuring the development of products and services that customers would love.
I apply the data-inspired design decision by making sense of user feedback through the combination of qualitative and quantitative data, which results in product and service improvements and innovations that improve the business metrics.
I also actively participate in the design community to stay relevant and attend courses that improve my competency in product and service design.
- Design Thinking
- Agile (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban)
- Rational Unified Process (RUP)
- Minimum Viable Research (MVR)
- Design Leadership (10+ years)
- Digital Product Design (4 years)
- User Experience Design (10 years)
- User Interface Design (6 years)
- User Research (5 years)
- Usability Testing (5 years)
- Design Sprint Workshop (2 years)
- Service Blueprint (3 years)
- Data Analytics (3 years)
- Team Development (10+ years)
- People Management (9 years)
- Project Management (9+ years)
- Travel (B2C & B2B)
- E-Commerce (C2C)
- Communication (B2B)
- Information & Communication Technology (ICT)
- Online Gaming
- Hospitality Service
- Job Market
- Video Monitoring System
- Miro (Online collaboration)
- Asana, Trello, MS Project (Project Management)
- 10,000 feet (Resource Allocation)
- Figma (Detailed UX Design)
- LucidChart (Journey Mapping, Flow Diagram, wireframes)
- Mixpanel, Domo, Google Analytics (Analytics)
- XMind (Mind Mapping)
Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB)
Bachelor’s Degree, Design, 1992 – 1998
- How to Map Out the Customer Journey (Udemy, 2017)
- UX Strategy Fundamentals (Udemy, 2017)
- How to Build Habit-Forming Products (Udemy, 2017)
- How to Develop Customer Centric Metrics (Udemy, 2017)
- Understanding Insights to Inspire Innovation (UXID Conference 2014)
English (Advanced), Indonesian (Native)
Experience & Responsibilities
Senior Design Lead at Traveloka
Travel, Indonesia, May 2019 – April 2020
Lead the team of 20 Product Designers across two main product domains: Supply (B2B), and Demand (B2C). Plan the quarterly roadmap with Product Managers and Design Supervisors to identify complexity, dependencies, and prioritization. Identify stakeholders, ensure proper resource allocation and methods, map out the timeline, assign RACI matrix, and set the communication plans to the stakeholder. Write Design Brief, consult, troubleshoot, and oversee the project execution on a day to day basis.
Map individual designer’s strength and setup development path based on strength building and available career path, using 80:15:5 composition of work assignment, skill training, and coaching. Assign a coaching structure, and collaborate with Design Ops to identify accessible learning opportunities.
Facilitate the Safe Space initiative, provide counseling to ensure the team’s mental health in coping with stressful projects and pressing timeline, resulting in a healthy culture, team bonding, and improved productivity.
Based on user insight gained, advise the Product team in product direction, highlight experience related issues and potential value creation, ensure that product ideas will meet user perception of value. Continuously update user journey mapping to better understand the flow, pain points, moment of truths (MOT), and identify potential value creation.
Improve design process based on Design Thinking principles to ensure high-quality design output, stakeholder collaboration, executive buy-ins, and improve team productivity.
Acting Design Lead (UX/UI) at Eko Communications
Communications, Thailand, November 2017 – May 2019
Advise Product Owners in solving experience related issues and value creation, conduct user and competitive researches to ensure that product ideas will meet user perception of value, mapping user journey to better understand user pain points, while also identify potential value creation.
Establish design process standard borrowing Design Thinking principles to improve executive buy-ins, proper use of manpower, and inter-team communication. Manage design resources and coordinate with Product Owners to set work prioritization, and ensuring synergy between different owners’ goals.
Create UX Roadmap and facilitate innovation within the company.
- Improving the current design process to incorporate more user feedback and better communication plan, better scalability, and fostering a positive communication culture within the team. As a result, there is an increase in buy-in from stakeholders on design propositions, and happier, more productive teammates.
- Leading the development of two new products for online collaboration and productivity.
Head of UX at OLX Indonesia
e-Commerce, Indonesia, May 2016 – Oct 2017
Conceptualize and design the latest OLX App, conducting Design Sprint workshops, create Use Case Scenarios and Journey Mapping, plan and conduct UX Research, create Rapid Prototyping, and perform Usability Testing.
Conversion tracking, Data Analytics, and analyzing user feedback to identify pain points, hidden opportunities, and prioritize areas for improvements. Research on Virality and SEO to support Growth KPI. Leading a team of two UX Designer and external UI Design vendors.
- Increased Seller’s Posting completion from 15% to 50%, increased Impulse Buyer ratio from 15% to 40%, suggested price recommendation feature that takes advantage of Big Data analytics, suggested Favorite feature which is now being used by 40% of users, identify and solve UX-related user issues to regain normal traffic after 75% drop.
- Received Certificate of Appreciation for showing company value of Build On Each Other, contributed to the company dynamic, quote “in a way that’s never been done before.”
- Becoming Design Sprint mentor for 1,000 Startup Digital Indonesia, Customer Journey Mapping workshop facilitator for Indonesia’s Telkom Startup initiative Amoeba, speaker at UXID (UX Indonesia professional group) gathering, and Digital Marketing for Semarang Branding seminar.
Customer Experience Consultant at Somia Customer Experience
Consulting, Indonesia, September 2013 – July 2015 (1 year 11 months)
Perform Project Management, conduct Stakeholders Workshop, UX Research, Ethnography, Service Safari, Usability Testing, Design Thinking Workshop, Usability Heuristic review, and Comparative Study. Create Wireframes, Lo-fi clickable prototyping, Task flow diagram, Persona, UX Report. Leading team of mostly two-three UX consultants.
Design Director at Mitrais
Software Development, Indonesia, October 2009 – September 2013 (4 years)
UX capacity building leads User Experience Design projects for both internal and external clients, Stakeholder interview, UX Design, UI Design, engages in pre-sales support including inception, requirement gathering, guesstimates, proposal development, and sales presentations. Leading team of two Designers, and SEO initiative.
- Established Mitrais Design Job Family which includes creating Competency Review System (CRS) for Designers, User Experience Process Standards for Designers.
- Developed UX Training module for Mitrais PGCP (Programmer Certification Program) which includes creating a syllabus, and conducting training.
- Developed a business plan for Mitrais UX service.